Sunday, August 14, 2011

Panty Hose Sculptures

I saw a great post on Claudia Olivos and Sergio Olivos on panty hose sculptures and thought it would be a great addition to the summer extended school year art class. I followed the steps from the Olivos getting my materials:
wire hanger, wood board, gesso, nails, stocking, and a hammer. I started by nailing a nail into the wood board making two holes by nailing in the nail and pulling it out ( I did this step for my students). I then has the students wear safety goggles and straighten out the hanger and pushed it through the hole and bent it on the bottom. Next the students sculpted the hanger into a shape of their choice. After they were happy with the shape they pulled a stocking leg over the hanger and they tied of the stocking on the bottom and cut the other leg of the stocking off and we stapled and stretched it and stapled the stocking on the bottom. The students then gessoed the stocking all over this was done to ensure the paint would stick. We let the sculptures dry and then during the next class the students painted using acrylic paints to design their sculptures. My students were so creative with their sculptures I was so amazed at the results!



1 comment: